Sunday 29 May 2011

AHOY KOMBOLOY!





(with apologies to Jenny Joseph)

When I am an old codger, I shall wear khaki
With a shiny bald head showing the lumps taken out of it,
And I shall wonder if I’ll ever get my pension in my life-time
To spend on beer, retsina or souvlaki me pitta
Or new sandals every year or even magic crocs
I shall sit down in kafeneions when I feel like it and
twiddle my beads
I shall gobble up meze, swat bumble bottles and never
set off without my katsouna to hold me up.
I can rattle my fishing rod against every fence and
make up for the ‘privations of my youth.

I will be fishing in my kayak off Libya and selling my catch of the day
I won’t need terrible shirts and gaily patterned shorts then, but I might need a
trusty straw hat which is frayed on one side.
I will spend my days picking oranges in orchards, planting a lemon tree and
vine in my garden and watching them grow.
I might be tempted to give up Croziers forever and buy a quad bike or become too old to die young as a Sunday Motorbike Rider.

But until then I will carry an umbrella to ward off stray dogs and a water pistol
to see off next door’s cat
And I will always be sure to keep 5 euros in my pocket of my khaki shorts and
the telephone number of the Health Centre on the wall

In case of emergencies ….


We are having a party here .....


No comments:

Post a Comment