Sunday 24 July 2011

CHICKEN RUN



We have escaped from the UK summer of lots of rain to blistering heat in Crete and then to NZ winter with ...lots of rain plus hail and even some snow forecast for some parts of Auckland.


I was woken quite early on Monday morning by a loud humming noise as if someone was taking a spa bath as the sound was so loud.  On checking out of the window I saw a large delivery truck dropping off a huge stack of wood for the winter.  NZ like Crete uses log burners to heat houses rather than central heating.  As the weather had been wet and stormy with only intervals of sunshine during the week, Soph managed to fix a temporary rainproof cover over the wood (which was very damp before it got here despite being promised as dry stock!  The same thing happened to us in Crete a couple of months back .)   The family spent the main part of today (Saturday) moving an enormous pile of logs which had been dumped in the driveway to the house.  Darren  needed to retrieve the wheelbarrow and expend lots of muscle power to get the load shifted.


Greenhithe (yes, commuters from Kent it IS another Greenhithe) turns out to be a quiet suburb on the North Shore of Auckland – very green and pleasant.   I have seen Cameron’s new kindergarten, visited the local shops and met up with lots of Sophie’s friends at children’ parties and a baby shower – so it has been all go for a week or so.  I have also walked past the local Anglican/Methodist Church which I hope to go to tomorrow morning if I can rouse myself for a 9 a.m. start.   I have been amused to see the very British  names of some of the other suburbs – Sandringham, Balmoral, Newmarket, Epsom and so on ...
Lots of NZ homes (which are spacious and luxurious by my standards) have a hot tub Jacuzzi in the back garden and I am waiting for my turn when the sun comes out!!  We were all primed and swim suited a day or two ago, but a power switch had tripped out which meant that the water was cold and in need of cleaning and filtering so I am still hoping that my turn comes around soon.



I wish that I had brought my paints with me because this is a corner in Sophie’s garden which is quiet and peaceful. 


Still no news from Melbourne about grandchild number three!  We are watching our mobile phones for the all systems go text but know that Kate will be taken into hospital on Monday if nothing happens over the weekend. All the family in the UK, Crete and NZ are anxious for news; meanwhile Cameron and Hayden are waiting for their new cousin!  

No comments:

Post a Comment