Thursday 26 March 2020

BARRIER NURSING -or prevention thereof




The current lockdown in Greece began on 13 March and resonated with the memory of life under the military junta during the 1960|70s.  However, Greeks were, for once, aware of the emergency and the village has been very, very quiet with the school and cafes closed.  It all started with an ear splitting siren noise from our Greek mobile phones sending us an emergency message.  Never having had one before, it scared us half to death!  Duly notified, we kept indoors.  The weather has been changeable but I’ve got lots of deep cleaning, tai chi and on line contacts made.

So today was shopping day.  The internet went wild over the weekend with various versions of the document you need to fill in and sign and the SMS message you have to send to give information about where and for how long you are away from home.  I put together a plan a bit like a military operation.  Hubby would never survive another stay in Intensive Care as he was lucky to come out alive 7 years ago, so we have been self isolating to an extreme level and welcome such restrictions if they can keep us in good health!

Feeling more than a bit ridiculous, I designated the Apothiki (shed)  a ‘dirty’ area (not far from the truth) and set a change of clothes, bucket of Dettol washing stuff and a bowl of soap, hand towel and water inside and shut the door.

Outside the apothiki, I donned an ankle length raincoat and gum boots.  I had visions of my lovely Granny dealing with war emergencies and must have looked a real sight!  Checked I had disposable latex gloves (check), hand gel (check), pocket hankies (check) and all the docs needed (check).  Passport, ID and a special sms notification on my mobile phone.  Don’t leave home without that as it could provoke a 150 euro fine from any policeman who cared to check!  Just remembered my purse and shopping list!  Synchronised watch with specified time on declaration and I was ready to roll.

I put spare latex gloves, kitchen roll and bin bag in the car beside me and set off to the shops.  I had never driven in wellies before.  The roads were absolutely deserted and I was glad that the weather was so awful that not many people would want to go out.

Went to my local supermarket for groceries and there was plenty to be had.  Not many tinned tomatoes, but there were packs of chopped ones, I bought some chicken pieces, bread, cheese, bottle of wine, toothpaste ... everything I needed.  I checked with Kostas at the counter about phoning in an order and he said “yes, we can bring it to you”.  Good.  Not much in the way of fresh veg, so called in the other shop on the way back and they had plenty of lovely fruit and veg.  Good.  Everything on my list, even light bulbs.

All done.  Nobody stopped me or checked my papers.

Drove home in driving rain and arrived back home.  Before I left, I had asked Mr C to put the hot water on and not greet me at the door because I wanted to keep any hint of virus out of the house.  Put the fridge goods by the door along with handbag.  Cleaned the car inside and out and took off gloves.  Then crept into the shed and stripped off Mac and clothes stuffing them in the bucket of water.  Washed face and hands and cleaned wellies.  Used kitchen towels and disinfectant on hands and boots.   

Eventually, made it into the shower ... marvellous!  

Then dealt with all the fridge goods wiping them down with with weak bleach solution.  Decided to leave the rest of the stuff in the car boot for a bit longer.  


Time for a cup of coffee!


Glad not to be going out for another week .. What a phaff;  exhausting!

Stay home and keep well, my friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment